I’m a huge fan of Park and Rec, Leslie Knope is quite possibly one of my favorite TV characters. Her made up holiday, “Galentine’s Day” which celebrates her girl friends was something I had to adopt.
Like many girls, I have experienced my share of heartache, prior to meeting my husband. But, with it we learn that boys come and go, but girl friends are for life!
This year my gal pals and I decided to celebrate our love for each other as well as our love for food with our epic Galentine’s Day party which also happened to be Taco Tuesday. We made tacos for dinner and I baked little jam tarts for us to enjoy for dessert.
Below is a recipe for the jam tarts.
And I baked jam tarlets for dessert.
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used canola)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
**We love eating so, I doubled the quantity of the ingredients and was able to make 2 dozens.**
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the oil and essence, and beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and knead into a soft dough.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough.
- I used a mug to cut circles. The dough will rise so you can vary the size of your base.
- I placed my circles in a greased muffin tin, to make a cup shape.
- With a cocktail fork, I crimped the sides and punched holes into the crust.
- I used strawberry jam [because it’s my favourite and it’s red] for my filling. I put 2 teaspoons per tartlet.
- To decorate the top, I cut dough into heart shapes to show some extra love to my gal pals.
- Bake at 180 degrees celcius, for 30 minutes.