Zucchini is by far one of my favorite vegetables; however a few people consider it to be boring so nobody bothers to do anything creative with it. During one of my internet trolling sessions I stumbled upon this amazing recipe that turns my favorite vegetable into something spectacular. Naturally, I HAD to try it! With a few minor tweaks to the original recipe, zucchini cakes have became a frequent guest at my dinner parties as they are a perfect accompaniment to any main course. These little treats are really light and fluffy, I could eat about a dozen in one go. Preparation is quick and easy, so if you don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen, this is perfect!
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (Coarse breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grate the zucchini and drain out the excess water. To do this, wrap the grated zucchini is paper towels for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients at once. Using your hands, squish the zucchini into the bread crumbs with the help of the egg. The spices add a rich flavor and beautiful aroma to the cakes so ensure that they are mixed in well.
- Once you have a sticky dough, scoop a tablespoon full at a time into your hands and form a small patty. *(You can make them bigger if you wish)
- Fry your cakes in shallow oil over medium heat till they are golden.
I love these cakes with chicken and baked potatoes. When I’m in the mood for a full vegetarian course, I like to serve them with a beautiful stir fry. Sometimes, I prefer to just eat them on their own with a sweet and sour sauce. Whatever your taste preference, I’m certain you will enjoy these flavorful little cakes.