Everyone says that their mom is the best. I can safely say that mine is by far the BEST cook, mentor, friend and she gives the best advice with the warmest hugs. I have studied under a true master who has taught me lessons I wish to pass on someday to my kids.
One of my Favorite lessons with mom was baking. Sugar is my frenemy, I hate that I love it so much. I’ve tried several times to give up sugar and all things sweet and decadent but sugar always wins. So, when the sugar cravings call, I usually like to answer with chocolate because nobody understands me better than chocolate. I love chocolate in just about anything. My go-to-use of course is a moist slice of chocolate cake.
I’ve tried a few chocolate cake recipes with success but my mom’s classic chocolate cake remains my firm favorite. It’s super easy and quick to prepare. Back in high school my cousin and I would bake it as an excuse to avoid homework. While writing this I am tempted to hit save and rush off to the kitchen…But I won’t.
To make this delicious treat, you will need:
- 3 eggs
- 220 ml sugar
- 1/4 oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Milk chocolate of your choice for decorating
Now the fun bit.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water and allow it to cool.
- Sift flour and baking powder and leave aside
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, oil, sugar,essence and cool cocoa mix. Mix well until it is creamy and smooth then add the dry ingredients.
- In a third bowl, whip up the egg whites until they are stiff then fold it lightly into your batter.
- Divide your creamy chocolate batter into two round (well greased) baking tins
- Pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes at a 170 degrees Celsius
When you remove your beautifully baked cakes from the oven allow them to cool before decorating. Sandwich the cakes with milk chocolate and spread chocolate all around the chocolate sandwich so it looks irresistible. Be as free and creative as your like with the decorating process. Below is the cake my mom made for my brother’s birthday. He’s too old for the candles and party hats so we just sang to him and let him cut the cake before sending him off to work. He only cared for the cake anyway so it was all good.